Thursday, September 8, 2011

September Challenge: Heading into Week Two.

Well, look at that. A week completed, successfully. I can honestly say that it wasn't difficult, thankfully. There are definitely things I need to improve on, but they aren't in the detox/food category.
  • I only did yoga for real once (I did some yoga stretches in the morning a couple of times). This needs to change. I always feel better when I'm practicing yoga regularly. I know that, and you would think that I would have learned by now, after 15 years of on-and-off practice, that I should just stick with it. MAKE THE TIME.
  • I did well the first five days with meditation and the morning/evening routines, but this week I kind of dropped the ball. Heading back to work after a long weekend threw me off--I've been sleeping in a bit in the morning rather than getting up with enough time to journal, meditate, stretch, and take my time getting ready like I had been.
I have managed to stay on top of the dry skin brushing, at least once daily if not twice. I have kept up with the beauty routine in the evenings: wash face, apply eye and night cream, brush, floss, and rinse. I try to pick a chapter in my Grail Springs detox book to reread every couple of days for inspiration (I want to go for a two-night retreat so bad!).  


After a week of cleansing, I feel...

I feel boring. When we aren't detoxing, we hang out with people more. Go out for drinks. Have people over for drinks. Go out to eat (very rarely, actually, considering how much we like food). We spent Monday wandering around the Byward Market, doing a bit of shopping--I would've loved to stop somewhere for a coffee and carb item (you know, like a square or piece of coffee cake or something) and just sit and enjoy the afternoon with my lovely girlfriend. Instead, we had a green tea, which was delicious, but it's not the same. Coffee drinkers understand.

I feel the same.
Normally I notice a huge improvement on a detox, but I feel more or less the same right now. Actually, that's not entirely true... I feel less changed, but still better. And this is a completely positive thing--it's because we tend to eat well Monday through Friday, our diet is made up of mostly 'whole' foods, and other than booze, we don't tend to 'binge' on things that are bad for us. 

I feel calm.
I like this one! I do feel much more calm and even-tempered. Soothed, almost. I haven't experienced any anxiety, which is normally a regular occurrence, and I find that I'm less impatient.

I feel not-bloated. I don't know what the opposite of bloated is, but that's how I feel. Less puffy. I'm so curious about weight loss, but how amazing to have to put faith into my own perception of my body and how I feel rather than gauging how I'm doing by a number on the scale. I definitely do feel like I've lost a few pounds. I guess I'll find out in October!



Tuesday night's dinner was a new concoction: chicken fried rice, Joshi-styles. I chopped up some celery, carrots, onion, broccoli, cauliflower and green beans and threw them in the wok with a bit of oil, tossing it up frequently. Then I added a splash of vegetable "better-than-broth" and some crushed garlic, chopped ginger, and about 1.5 tsps of Chinese 5-Spice. I threw in some wild and brown rice, some more broth (I ended up using about a cup of broth in total), and some pre-cooked diced chicken breast. Near the end, I squirted in about 4-5 Tbsps of Braggs. This made four servings.

Last night, I went to dinner at my friend Tina's. She had a big head of cauliflower in the fridge that needed to be used, so I whipped up a batch of curried cauliflower soup, which we ate with a chicken breast. I put left-over walnut-arugula pesto on mine, but it was a little too garlicky for her (I didn't know there was such a thing), so she had Diana's BBQ sauce. It was delicious and filling, and she's left with about 2-3 bowls of soup for her lunches for the rest of the week.  
I made a really happy discovery yesterday. I went to a naturopathic store on my lunch break to look for a cinnamon-ginger tea, and found a delicious one. "Classic India Spice" by Yogi. It's an Ayurvedic blend--cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, clove, black pepper--totally delicious. So I went to Starbucks and ordered a tall steamed soy milk, which is totally okay on Joshi's, but I asked for "half-sweet sugar-free caramel" as well. I'm sure that whatever chemicals are in this sugar-free syrup are not okay on Joshi's, but 'half-sweet' means they only put half the syrup they normally would. I had planned to just have a caramel soy milk, but I had the brilliant idea to add a spice tea bag to it and Oh. My. God. I want to have it everyday. I won't, because of the chemicals (and also because a tall costs more than a 2L carton of soy milk from the store), but I've tucked three tea bags into my wallet for future Starbucks visits! 

Today started out rushed, again--it's a busy time of year at the office and I've been coming in a half hour or so early. I didn't even have time for my usual millet rice flakes cereal, so instead I grabbed two Thin Cakes with almond butter, which I ate at my desk. Marielle made us delicious-looking salads for lunch with chicken, red cabbage, feta, and all sorts of goodies. I'm thinking that next week's meal plan will include some preparation-free foods. I'm sick of chopping carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment